Furnaces are high-capacity, complex pieces of equipment that work hard to keep your home comfortably warm – if you want to save on repair and energy bills with a few easy operations, here are a few DIY furnace maintenance tips that will surely make your furnace live longer and work better and will keep you from having to contact one of the furnace repair Denver professionals for a replacement.
The Tools You Need
These maintenance operations are intended to make the job of the furnace easier by removing impurities, so the tools you will need are common tools used for cleaning: a brush and a piece of soft cloth for the dusting, a vacuum cleaner and a drinking straw for removing dust from very small components.
Do these maintenance operations twice a year to increase the longevity of your furnace:
- Power off the unit and shut off the gas, then check and double check that the furnace is not under current and the gas supply is off indeed.
- Remove the door of the combustion chamber and the burner cover – combustion chamber doors can be usually easily lifted, while burner cover doors are held in place with screws.
- Inspect the interior of the combustion chamber for the presence of soot – the fine black power indicates insufficient burning.
- Get a vacuum cleaner and run it wherever you see dust in the combustion chamber and in the blower compartment.
- Remove the blower to clean it as well – if your unit has a control panel in front of the component, you will have to remove it before you can reach the blower.
- Use a vacuum and a thin, but stiff brush to dust the blower.
- Replace the blower filter – cheap, universal filters made from fiberglass are the best replacement filters.
- Locate the pilot and use a drinking straw to remove dust from it.
- Clean the sensor of the pilot with a piece of fine sand paper, then put it back into its place.
- Clean the hot surface igniter by blowing it with the straw, but be careful not to touch it because it is a very important, but very fragile component of your furnace, even the lightest touch can break it.
- If your unit is belt-driven, inspect the drive belt for any cracks – if you notice any damage, replace the belt yourself or call an expert to replace it for you.
- Lubricate the bearings around the belt, but don’t overdo it, two or three drops of oil per bearing is enough.
- If your furnace has a special operating mode for winter and another one for summer, adjust the damper for the upcoming season.
- Inspect the air ducts for any damage, such as leaks if you notice any place where air can escape from the system, seal it with metal tape or silicone.
And the last one of our DIY furnace maintenance tips: don’t forget to clean and check your furnace before winter and before summer – there is nothing worse than noticing a breakdown when you need to furnace to be working hard for your comfort.
Your furnace is probably one of the most important appliances in your home, the equipment that supplies your home with hot water and heating as well, both essential for your comfort. If the unit breaks down, you need repair as quickly as possible, but if it happens in Nebraska, you are lucky because local furnace repair companies provide emergency services of the highest quality.
How Furnace Repairs Goes
There are many different types of furnaces used in homes. Some are powered with electricity, others use propane gas or oil or they are bi-fuel varieties. Nebraska heating and air conditioning technicians are trained to handle all varieties, brands and problems – here is how they will proceed:
- First a safety and diagnostic test is done on your furnace to identify the fault – this process will entail measurements with the help of specialized equipment and probably some dismantling as well
- A free, no obligation cost estimate is issued based on the technician’s findings – it will include all labor and replacement part-related costs and you will have to accept it by signing it
- The technician continues and finalizes the repairs either by repairing the faulty component or by replacing it with a new one from the company’s stock or ordered for you from a third-party supplier.
Some local companies provide only scheduled repair services, while others offer emergency services as well, so you can call them even if your furnace breaks down in the middle of a cold winter night. A technician will arrive at your place as quickly as possible and the repairs will be just as prompt and efficient.
Other Services Provided by Furnace Repair Services in Nebraska
Most repair companies offer professional services not only for faulty furnaces – they repair other HVAC units such as electric or gas heaters, air conditioners, heat pumps. Their other services can be categorized in the following two main classes:
- Maintenance – very important for keeping your HVAC appliances safe and healthy, proper, professional maintenance can prevent costly and unexpected faults caused by malfunctions that could have been prevented such as clogging, the build-up of other impurities in the system, imperfect electrical contacts or other, easy to avoid problems. It is usually recommended to hire a professional to carry out maintenance tasks two times a year, once in spring, to prepare the appliance for the summer and once in fall, to prepare your furnace or other type of HVAC equipment for the heavy-duty work required by cold Nebraska winters.
Many homeowners consider professional installation and maintenance a waste of money, while in fact these two operations can prevent many appliance faults. HVAC systems are sensitive and improper installation can not only lead to their malfunction, but can also jeopardize the safety of your home, so do call professionals to install, repair and maintain your furnace and other HVAC units – their services are worth every dollar they charge.
Sizing a HVAC system properly is a job that HVAC contractors know how to do. To calculate the load on the HVAC system, specialists use tables that incorporate insulation values, air leakage, window quality factors and the surface areas that envelope your home.
All these factors are different from one house to another. A professional would never ignore them and only calculate the load based on the square footage of the house. Such an evaluation cannot be accurate and you could invest your money into a HVAC Denver system that would not be sized accordingly and could not meet your requirements.
Proper sizing can only be determined when you know exactly how much air flow you need to have your air conditioning system operating efficiently, for instance. Otherwise, you could see it often freezing up. This would cause utility bills to become excessive, air conditioning repairs to cost too much, and the compressor to fail prematurely.
To avoid such situations, the best move to make is to contact a Denver air conditioning repair firm and trust them with the proper sizing of your installation. When this work is done by professionals, you can expect it to be done well.
When it comes to heating your home you need all the information you can get, so this is why it is important to see what Denver heating and air conditioning specialists have to say:
- Any heating equipment or appliances you have in your home need to be kept away from anything that can burn. Whether it is a stove or a portable heater, you need to ensure everything is as safe as possible.
- If you have any kids or pets you need to keep them away from heating equipment and appliances. Place them somewhere where you know that both kids and pets cannot reach them.
- HVAC Denver professionals advise against trying to use the oven to heat your home. Some people might think it actually works, but it does not make it true. It is actually very dangerous.
- You need to ensure your heating equipment and appliances are thoroughly cleaned and inspected at least twice a year. Hire a professional to do it to get the best results.
- According to Denver heating and air conditioning professionals, if you like using portable space heaters, then you need to always remember to also turn them off when you leave the room.
Air conditioning repair naturally occurs when the air conditioner gets damaged. However, this can be quite a pricy undertaking. Thankfully, if you hire the right person, it won’t cost you an arm or a leg.
This fear of expenses is a mentality that needs to be avoided. Nothing lasts forever, and air conditioners, just like any other object or appliance, can deteriorate and brake over time. By postponing repair or upgrades to your air conditioner, you risk of having to replace it, which can prove way more costly than maintenance. So, if it’s experiencing problems, you should consult a specialist as soon as you can. If you continue to use an air conditioner that is damaged, you risk ruining the entire air conditioning system of your home. The prices aren’t that bad either. There are many firms and specialists that offer affordable prices for fixing your air conditioner. You should seek information on these repair firms and compare prices and benefits.
So if you don’t want your air conditioner to break when you need it the most, such as during a hot summer or a freezing winter, seek out air conditioner repair Denver firms at once when experiencing problems.
If you are experiencing problems with your plumbing and the last thing you want is to have a bunch of guys digging holes throughout your beautifully landscaped yard, then you should learn about the benefits of a trenchless Denver sewer line repair and the reasons why you should hire a professional company near you.
The conventional way of fixing sewer pipes is outdated. Unless you want to have your yard looking like after a war you should avoid these types of projects. You can now have the damaged pipes fixed without any intrusions and that is thanks to the advancements in technology. A good professional will be able to dig just two holes at the entrance and exit of the pipes and insert a polyethylene pipe that will be more resistant to root intrusions and other types of damage.
A trenchless sewer repair is a lot faster than a conventional job, and that means less time having guys working near your home. With less labor work comes fewer expenses, so if you want to fix any type of sewer damage fast, you should get the best trenchless sewer scope Denver professionals have to offer.